Effective Minute Taking
Minute taking is an integral factor in the final success of a meeting whether formal, informal or HR related.
This one day minute taking course provides participants with an understanding of the function and importance of written minutes and notes and how to develop their skills to take notes that form an accurate account of a meeting. Effective listening, note taking skills, summarising and building the note taker’s confidence are covered.
Description: Accurate meeting minutes should record what has taken place, any decisions made and what subsequent actions are required. Minute taking, in all its forms, can be daunting but with the right preparation minute taking can be handled with confidence.
Based on PA2day’s extensive experience of minute and HR note taking and feedback from attendees on minute taking courses - a confident note taker makes the difference. Participants will gain the confidence and skills required to take accurate notes and present them in an appropriate format.
They will leave with a better understanding of their role and have the confidence to handle the meeting more successfully and professionally.
Discussion sessions and practical exercises will be used as part of the learning process.
What Will I Learn?
- Identify the role and responsibilities of the minute taker.
- Understand best practice to prepare for meetings and write effective minutes.
- Identify positive strategies for listening and, where appropriate, summarising.
- Deal with jargon, technical language and grammar professionally.
- Identify different styles of minute taking, organising the material and highlighting important points.
- Have improved confidence and skills to take accurate notes at the level of detail required.
- Write up your notes with confidence.
Key Topic Areas:
- Effective Meetings: preparation, the meeting cycle, the structure of a meeting, ensuring a meeting is successful - your role, arranging the meeting and the agenda.
- Attending the Meeting: at the meeting - concerns/issues, confidentiality, common problems, finding out who's who/remembering.
- Note Taking: the ‘do's & don'ts’ of effective note taking, example layouts, enabling understanding and handling arguments.
- Writing up the Minutes: layout of minutes, examples, different styles and the importance of maintaining organisational consistency.
- Freedom of Information Act 2000: brief overview of how the Act impacts on minuted information.
Who Should Attend?
This course is aimed at anyone who has to minute or note take – including Personal Assistants, Executive Assistants, Office Managers, Administrative Support Staff and HR Staff.
Date: 9 March 2017
Time: 9.00am - 4.30pm
Venue: Belfast Venue TBC
To register please email firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: 028 90 245 356.